Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Greetings from Shannon


Here I am in lovely overcast Shannon, Ireland! We got in about an hour or so and the view was beautiful and incredible! It looked just like the pictures--cliffs sticking right up out of the Atlantic, patchwork fields and farms and everything. I can't believe we're finally here!

So, an update about my travels: I got into Reagan fine with Mom and the kids but then hit a snag immediately with my passport not matching my ticket, so I had to get that fixed, but it wasn't that big of a deal in the end. Then I was in Boston for a while and they started paging "William Bennetti", but I guessed that it was just some other Italian person in Logan. Then they called "R. William Bennetti" and I figured that had to be me. It turned out they wanted me to take an earlier flight to JFK, so I did, making sure to tell them that they had to ensure that my bag made it on the flight with me. Since I arrived in New York way early, I spent several hours chilling around the airport and then met up with some of the other kids from the program and we were bored for hours. There was this huge group of high school students from a group called "People to People" which spreads world peace as taught to them by Dwight D. Eisenhower. Or at least that's what one of them told us. They all were wearing matching maroon polos and looked very touristy.

The flight was LONG. But that's not surprising given that we crossed the Atlantic Ocean. They had a huge selection of movies, music, and TV and it was cool, but quickly started to drag. The plane was smaller than we expected it to be and there wasn't a ton of legroom or anything, so it was a cramped and long flight as a result. It was all worth it, though, when we came below the clouds and got our first glimpse of Ireland! We're going to hang around the airport waiting for the other students to arrive and then after lunch we're starting our program with a trip to a local castle. Woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment